Sunday, February 09, 2014

Tricia's Low Hemoglobin Level

I mentioned in previous posts that around end of last year/early this year, Tricia had high fever on and off. I took emergency leave on 2nd January 2014, first working day of the year when it was very busy and Soke Yee was on leave because I couldn't wait any longer. So I worked from home first half of the day and took Tricia for a blood test at her Paed in Seremban in the afternoon. I was impressed that the Dr only need to prick Tricia's finger to do the blood test. No need to draw blood from her vein.
Result in January:
The Dr explained that not only Tricia was having a viral fever, she also had bacteria infection. (I only learned yesterday that it was explained from LYM% and GRA% reading. High Lym = viral. High Gra = bacterial) That was it. What my mom saw was a different thing. Why was her hemoglobin level very low at 8.4. She freaked out and kept pestering me on and on about it. Good thing was, she went and investigate Tricia's milk content and found out it was not the milk's fault but it was actually our fault. We prepared her milk not according to the right level so her milk was super diluted. 1) She didn't get enough nutrients. 2) Her milk didn't taste good. We also went to search for food with high iron content and went with Cerelacs Honey and Wheat (not any other type) to be mixed into her milk.
After a month, yesterday, we went to see Dr Oo again to follow up with the hemoglobin reading. We actually asked a few other clinics/labs beforehand whether they can do the same blood test by pricking her finger rather than taking a whole chunk of blood from her veins but no luck. So off we went to Seremban. Lucky mummy didn't have anything else to do so I got to drag her along since she was the one that was freaked out with this whole episode and kept thinking it could be some minor thalassemia disorder/G6PD/iron deficiency disorder. I was pretty sure Tricia didn't have any blood related disorder because no one else in the family has it and Tricia had been pretty strong so far. Granted she fell sick on and off but it was never that serious. She was never admitted YET (touch wood) so I really didn't think she had any kind of blood disorder, which was supposed to make her prone to falling sick.
New result:
Hemoglobin level up to 9.7. Yeayyy! Joy. Although it is still very low from the normal range, at least it is improving. Mom was very happy. She wanted to have some reticulocyte count or something from the blood test. I called Dr Oo's clinic before and the nurse said they don't have it. Mom asked Dr Oo personally and he said it could be explained by other measures. I didn't understand what they were talking about but mom looked satisfied so I guess it is good. Dr Oo told me very low possibility of having all that blood disorder thing from the reading. No wonder he didn't point out anything before. 
Mom, finally satisfied with the explanation, said that was exactly why Doctors cannot treat their own family members because it is easier for them to freak out when it comes to their own loved ones. Amazing what food intake could do to one's overall health. So what we should do now is to continue to monitor her food intake because it is very difficult to make her eat solid food. Unfortunately, mom kept reminding me that she inherited that from me. =_= Now that her milk is not so diluted anymore, she has been drinking a lot more but in return, reducing her solid food intake. As long as she gets the right nutrients in, she is on the right track to recover from the low hemoglobin episode. To all my family members, thank you for helping us in monitoring her food intake. Your contribution is very much appreciated. ^_^

No comments: