We were told to be kind and caring when we were little so I used to enjoy giving out money to sad-looking beggers when I went to pasar malam etc. Not much, maybe just a few sens from my 70 sens daily allowance but I was glad to know that a person could have maybe half a meal at least from the little money I gave.
When I started working, I came to understand how hard earning money actually is. At the beginning of my career, I had to even take up several part-time jobs to sustain my life and also fund my wedding. Then I took time to actually look at these beggers. Some beggers are blind people, guided by a normal healthy person. Why don't this healthy person work and support the blind person instead? Maybe the healthy person is "working" for the blind, and the blind "job" is to get sympathy from other people. Then came an article pointing out how much these beggers actually earn. Some earn a whopping 5 figures monthly. That's more than I make myself... Why should I give my hard-earned money to them! The article also pointed out one begger, who can afford to take "leave" a few days monthly, live in a comfortable house and even own a car! Then you see stories like Slumdog Millionaire, highlighting syndicates kidnapping children and exploiting them to beg. Today we this have in The Star newspaper: Malaysia – a foreign beggars’ haven. Click here to read it yourself. Or even this (scroll down after the Raja Azmi story to read: Berita Minggu reported that foreign beggars could collect up to RM300 a day at Ramadan bazaars especially those in posh residential areas.)
This is why I stop giving out money to beggers now. Sometimes when I eat out, these people will come over and ask for money. Some look realllllyyyy bad... I pity them. BUT NO! I am not gonna be fuelling this industry. Just to make myself feel better about it, I have to actively look for proper institution to give to or at least pay my zakat and hope they will use the money right. May I still have a blessed rezeki from Allah. InsyaAllah.
5 comments:
good call.
kadang-kadang pernah terfikir, takpelah, bagi je lah, yang penting kite ikhlas. lantak la dia nak tipu ke nak berlakon ke ape, itu nanti dia jawab sendiri kat akhirat.
tapi sebenarnye kalau kita just bagi je tanpa usul periksa, kita encourage dia untuk terus menipu orang (kalau dia memang menipu la).
Aku pon xkan bagi kalau yg mintak tepi2 jalan ni. I'd rather donate to legitimate societies/causes that I like.
yer aku sudah update. tapi next update entah bila hahaha
Yeap I too don't usually give when approached. Like you said, I don't want to be fuelling the industry. It's always better to go through the proper channel.
My hubby always remind me NOT to, but I can't just say no to beggars with child(ren). Have a baby of your own and you would feel a little teary when you see these beggars' children.yes farah I am that sensitive :P
Bojol: Btol. tak baik galakkan die asyik minta duit tanpa berusaha. Usaha mintak duit from org doesn't count.
Lion: Yer, at least kite tau duit kite pegi mane. Yeay, sudah update. Hehe.
Mimi: Yup, don't fuel this industry!!! Some of them spend more than us. So not fair. Tak buat ape pon... Mintak from org jer.
Manoq: Sedih mmg sedih tapi diorg pun sengaja bawak baby kasik kite kesian. Sobs. Kadang2 rase mcm nak tangkap diorg, hntr baby tuh masuk rumah jagaan/anak yatim camtu.
Post a Comment