This is the second time in this pregnancy I am having gum infection. The first time, I thought, it was one of my wisdom teeth acting up. My dentist told me before that because it came up half way, it would cause pain once in awhile. So I lived with it and did nothing about it other than putting on bonjela to the affected area i.e. my lower back gum on the left... down to my left-side of the throat. Swallowing was difficult during that period. After nearly 2 weeks or so, it went away. That was just a couple of days after raya, exactly when we were climbing up Cameron Highland in mid-August.
Earlier this week, early October I would say, my right gum was having the same symptoms but on the right side. This time, I know it is not because of my wisdom tooth. It must be infection. Other than gurgling with mouth-wash day and night, I did nothing else. But when I told my mom what I was having, she suspected I have Gingivitis like what she experienced before. Consulted my group of friends and the Dr in the group suggested I went for scaling immediately to clean my mouth so that it doesn't breed more bacteria, thus help with the healing process.
So yesterday, during lunch time, I went to a dentist in The Curve. I was not surprised when the dentist told me that I could not do my scaling that day. On normal days, scaling would cause my gum to bleed and is super painful. Now with infection and sensitive gum, brushing alone already caused me to bleed, what more scaling. However, I was surprised when she told me that both sides of the gums were swollen because I only felt pain on one side. She inspected my neck and said my face was also slightly swollen because of that. I asked her whether this is Gingivitis but she said, no... this is Periodontitis.
Although she knew I was 4 months pregnant, she still put me on a course of antibiotics and told me to come again next week. I asked her whether it is necessary. She replied, yes, if not, it won't heal. Haaaaaaaaa. Setting up the next appointment was a nightmare because she insisted me to stick with her than going to other Dr and that I go to TTDI branch instead of The Curve but was told that parking there was difficult. Her timing and mine clashed and she scolded me for not wanting to take time off from work to come for check up and bla bla bla. I am so going back to my old dentist in Setapak next week.
Met mom that night and told her it is not Gingivitis but Periodontitis. Expecting she would say the latter is not as bad as the former but she told me the opposite. Periodontitis is worse as it is now affecting my bone. Urgh... Bad news. Mom checked with her friend to ensure that the antibiotic is really safe for pregnancy and was told that it is. (She doubted my dentist. Haha.) But she still asked me to continue massaging my gum and use mouth wash, instead of taking the antibiotics first. I agree with that. I'll give it more time as I can live with the pain at the moment and I don't need to take the pain killer yet although it is also provided. If I can survive labour contraction, I definitely can survive this. Haha. Byk pulak dugaan this time round.
No comments:
Post a Comment