Tuesday, April 29, 2014

My 2nd delivery

I thought this time that I am staying on my own with access to PC and high speed broadband, I would update my blog faster and more often. Clearly, I thought wrong. Today mark the last day of my confinement period. Hooray? Hmm, not really. Apart from the fact that my baby is growing healthily, I don't foresee myself joying over anything in particular. Food... I have been slowing introducing stuff that I couldn't/shouldn't eat in confinement and I couldn't/wouldn't just eat everything now that it is over because I am still breastfeeding and my wound, although healed, is still quite sore sometimes. Anyway, let's flasback to my 2nd delivery journey.
We checked-in into SJMC at nearly 6pm on the 16th of March, Sunday. We were told there were no single room available, which we expected. Before I could suggest we take the double room and pay double the rate, the lady called up post-natal ward and hooray, we got a single room. Room 377. I was told by my Dr that soon after we checked in, we could go out again but the nurse said they needed to shave me and I was supposed to see my anesthetist. I should have taken up the offer by the lady at a spa I went to earlier that day to wax me but I was embarrassed to let people see my private part. If I did, maybe it won't be so itchy like the after effect of shaving. Anyway, was done by 8pm and not seeing anesthetist that night so we signed the release paper and went out. Promised to be back by midnight, when my fasting began.
We went to have dinner at TGIF Subang Parade, where mummy and abang joined us. Then around 10pm, hubby decided to go all the way back to Bangi to freshen up and somehow we managed to reach the hospital back at midnight. I sneaked in that night, not knowing I should have reported back so the nurse came to check on me around 2am or so. Teehehe.
I couldn't sleep so well that night, knowing the fact that I would be under the knife the next morning. Was waken up by a nurse around 5.50am to prep me up. She asked whether I had been fasting since midnight, which I answered yes. I asked whether I could have a drink and the answer was no. I later went to the toilet to pass motion naturally so the nurse said no need to insert the "inducer" into my anus. Dr Siti visited me before the surgery around 8am. After that, I was given medicine for gastric, IV line was inserted into my left hand, were asked a number of standard questions before an operation and signed the release form. Standard questions include:
1) Have I ever had any other surgery prior to this one? No.
2) Any medicine I am allergic to? No.
3) Am I under any medication or vitamins? Last time taken? Obimin Plus. Last Friday.
4) Read the possible risks associated with the operation.
Then we wait, around 8.30am, I was taken to the surgery room. Hubby carried Tricia and sent me to the operating theater door at Level 1.
In the operating theater, I was parked at the waiting area for awhile. God knows how nervous I was waiting there. People were being carted in and out the operating room. Lucky, no one was screaming or looked nervous. Everyone was composed and calm. Staff looking ready and professional. It was like I was watching Grey's Anatomy, only this time I was one of the actors. Huhu. 
Just before I went in, my anesthetist came to brief me and I was told that we were going with regional anesthesia, instead of general anesthesia and the more common epidural. Reason being the needle is smaller, making for a more precise incision and with that lower risk of failure. I just agreed to it, trusting the details to the professionals. Dr Siti came over and I heard them discussing over that option and she said it is a good choice. She wondered why not many people opt for it. I guess, it's good to hear that from Dr Siti.
They sent me in around 9am and I requested that they start with the anesthesia first before putting in the catheter. I was asked to sit upright, face facing forward when they put the needle in my back. Thank God the needle insertion was not painful and everything went smoothly. When I laid down, both my hands were bounded. My left was the IV line and my right hand was tied to the BP monitor. I couldn't feel the catheter and when my Dr made the first cut, she confirmed with me that I didn't feel anything before they proceed. So my anesthesia was a success. Yeay.
During the operation, I didn't feel any pain. Only the sensation of pushing and tugging my abdomen to push the baby into the right position. At 9.11am, 17 March 2014, the baby was safely delivered, weighing 3.19kg. I heard her crying so loud when they cleaned her up and that time, all I could do was wait. I remember wondering why it took them so long to let me see the baby. She was crying all the time until they brought her to me. I remember kissing her eyes and tasted her tear. I had tear in my eye too that time. This is more emotional for me because I was awake and fresh, unlike last time when I was all tired and sleepy. I reminded the nurse to let my husband azan the baby before they do anything else to her. After that, my Dr and her team continued to stitch me up and I was held up to recuperate in the operating theater hall for about an hour before I was sent back to my room.
I was silent throughout the whole procedure, updated occasionally by my anesthetist who was the only one by my side and only answered when they called for me. I was told by Dr Siti there was no reason why the baby was in breech position. Nothing was blocking her passage and she was not that big. I guess her bambam was heavy. That's why she couldn't push it up. =p Since nothing else to do during the recuperating hour, I took a nap. At 10.30am I insisted to be sent up to my room as I couldn't wait to see my family.
The experience this time is a completely different one. In terms of pain during delivery, this one is more smooth, less painful experience. Hassle-free, stress-free option. But given a choice, would I opt for elective caesarian next time or would still try for normal delivery? I would say, I would still try for normal delivery, unless a situation like this arises.


No comments: